Archive for July, 2013
We’d like to thank Mike, KD8FLZ, for passing along the latest copy of the script for the PCARS Bi-weekly Training Net.
The repeater frequency is 146.895 with pl tones of 110.9 and 118.8.
EC, ARES of Portage County, District 5
join us this Thursday at 7:00pm for the ARES of Portage County bi-weekly
training net. We hope to hear you on the net. The
repeater frequency is 146.895 with pl tones of 110.9 and 114.8.
EC, ARES of Portage County, District 5
The 2013 GLD Convention will be held in Columbus, OH on August 3, 2013. The convention will be held in conjunction with the Voice of Aladdin ARC hamfest. ARRL Chief Executive Officer Dave Sumner, K1ZZ will be present along with a slate of other Great Lakes Division and Section officials from Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan. Dave is truly "Mr. Amateur Radio" not only in the US, but throughout the rest of the world thanks to the outstanding manner in which he has served in a leadership position in the International Amateur Radio Union of worldwide national Amateur Radio societies. If a subject relates to Amateur Radio and Dave does not know about it, it doesn't exist and is likely not to exist — ever. Just hearing Dave discuss ham radio past, present and future is worth attending the convention.
Convention information is here:
Convention events are (all times EDT):
• Public Service – 08:30 — A presentation of ways through which Amateur Radio provides unique service to the community.
• Propagation Forum – Carl Leutzelschwab, K9LA – 08:30. Carl will discuss how propagation affects our ability to communicate, how propagation forecasts are developed and how these can be used.
• Amateur Radio License Testing – 09:00. ARRL VEC will administer Amateur Radio license exams.
• National Traffic System Forum – David Maynard, WA3EZN – 09:30 — Dave will lead a discussion of how the NTS stands by and trains to help non-amateur citizens.
• Club Growth – Kitty Hevener, W8DTA – 09:30. Kitty will discuss proven ways to bring interest and excitement to club activities.
• Voice of America, VOA – Jay Adrick, K8CJY -10:30. Jay will cover the unique history of the VOA Bethany (OH) transmitting site in Mason, OH, how it served the country during WW 2 and its close ties with Amateur Radio operators.
• OSSBN Bi-Annual meeting – open to all – 10:30. Stop in to see how one of the nation's premier traffic nets operates.
• ARRL Forum – 11:30 — CEO Dave Sumner, K1ZZ; Director, Jim Weaver, K8JE; Vice Director, Dale Williams, WA8EFK; and Section Managers Jim Brooks, KY4Z (Kentucky), Frank Piper, KI4LA (Ohio) and Larry Camp, WB8R will cover activities of ARRL to protect and expand Amateur Radio locally, nationally and internationally.
• ARRL Banquet – keynote speaker – David Sumner, K1ZZ – 13:00. (A nice variety of food will be available for purchase.) Awards for special achievement will be presented to Division amateurs at the banquet.
• The Royal Order of the Wouff Hong: Ohio Section volunteers will induct worthy ARRL members who wish will be inducted into this ancient and mysterious order of Amateur Radio operators.
• QSL Card Checking: Keith Kemper, N8KOL will be available throughout the Convention to check QSL cards for awards. 160M QSLs may be checked by prior appointment through Jim Weaver, K8JE.
• Local Club information booths — Stop by to see some of the interesting activities being pursued by local Amateur Radio clubs.
Dave Sumner, K1ZZ is keynote speaker at the banquet. This will be a great opportunity to hear about the current and future status of
The accompanying Voice of Aladdin hamfest will feature vendors indoor and outdoor.
All indoor activities will be held in a beautiful setting that includes a large hall and comfortable, highly-modern meeting rooms and dining room. We hope to see you there!
The Great Lakes Division holds conventions every other evenly-numbered year. Your next chance to attend a Division convention will be in 2015. Why not plan to attend this year? I believe you will be happy that you did.
Jim Weaver, K8JE
Director, Great Lakes Division
5065 Bethany Rd.
Mason, OH 45040
Tel. 513-459-1661; e-mail K8JE@arrl.org
ARRL: The reason Amateur Radio Is
Members: The reason ARRL is
ARRL Great Lakes Division
Director: James E Weaver, K8JE
The Annual PCARS picnic is on for 4 pm Saturday, rain or shine. We have the big fully enclosed shelter, so there should be no excuses about weather. Feel free to bring bats, balls, frisbees, and radios.
Please bring with you something to pass around. Desert, chips, casserole, beans, veggies…be creative. PCARS supplies the burgers and dogs.
And feel free to bring you very favorite beverages with you. It’s a private picnic area…you can enjoy what you want!
Travel Advisory: New Milford Road is closed to the south of the VFW. You’ll have to come in from the North off of Main Street.
6000 New Milford Rd
73 de Bill WB9LBI