PCARS Holds VE Test Sessions on the first Saturday of each even numbered month, at our club site in Ravenna map.
Our next VE session will be on Saturday, August 7th
VE sessions for Technician, General & Amateur Extra start at 10:00 am. Walk-ins are always welcome.
Any Questions? Contact our Volunteer Examiner Liaison, KB8UUZ@gmail.com
WALK-INS will be accepted.
- You must have your FRN prior to taking an exam – No SSNs will be used on the Form 605 anymore.
- If you are sick, have a cough, a high temperature or have been exposed to COVID-19 (or a variant) or someone that has been infected – please, do not come to the club site.
- No food or snacks allowed. Use of masks is encouraged.
- $15.00 Fee Payment will only be by check or exact change. We cannot make change
- If paying by check, make check out to: “ARRL-VEC” The VE Fee is $15.00
- Ensure you have the following:
- A picture ID such as a valid Driver’s License, State ID, School ID, or US Passport.
- If you are under 16 years of age, a parent or guardian must be able to vouch for you and you need a copy of your birth certificate (you do not have to give us a copy, we just have to see and verify).
- FCC is requiring you have your e-mail address on the Form 605.
- If you are taking a Technician test you will need your FRN number
(you can apply for an FRN on the FCC website). For hams having a license, your FRN is printed on your license.
- If you are upgrading to General or Extra – You MUST bring your original valid amateur radio license and a copy of your valid amateur radio license to turn in with your Form 605.
- Bring your own pencils and pens.
- Calculators are okay to use (if you need one) as long as the memories are cleared.
- NO cell Phones allowed
- If you’ve already passed a test: The original (and one copy) of any document that you will use to prove you’ve already passed a test element.
These documents may include:
- An unexpired Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE) indicating the credit(s) earned.
- Original and copy of a pre-March 21, 1987 Technician license (this provides credit for the Element 3 [General] exam) – you must be currently licensed to get this credit.
ARE YOU GOING FOR YOUR TECHNICIAN LICENSE?
READ THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
First-Time Exam Applicants MUST Obtain FCC Registration Number BEFORE Taking Exam
As of May 20, 2021, all amateur examination applicants are required to provide an FCC Registration Number (FRN) to the Volunteer Examiners (VEs) BEFORE taking an amateur exam. This is necessary due to changes the FCC has made to its licensing system. Applicants will create an FCC username and account, respond to the verification email from FCC, and then register for the FRN. Register on the FCC’s Commission Registration System (CORES): https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/
Social Security Numbers are NO LONGER ACCEPTED at Exam Sessions
Amateur candidates who already have an FCC license, whether for amateur radio or in another service, already have an FRN and can use the same number. All prospective new FCC licensees, however, will be required to obtain an FRN before the examination and provide that number to the volunteer examiners on the Form 605 license application. An FCC instructional video (https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn) provides step-by-step instructions on how to obtain an FRN through the FCC’s CORES system. The FRN is required for all new applicants to take an amateur exam and is used afterward by the applicant to download the license document from the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) (https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system), upgrade the license, apply for a vanity call sign, and to submit administrative updates (such as address and email changes) and renewal applications.
Email Addresses REQUIRED
As of June 29, 2021 all applications will be required to contain an email address for FCC correspondence. Applicants will receive an email direct from the FCC with a link to the official electronic copy of their license whenever a license is issued or changed. ARRL VEC suggests that those without access to email to use the email address of a family member or friend. Licensees will be able to log in to the ULS using their FRN and password to download the latest version of their license at any time. The FCC no longer provides paper license documents.
New FCC Application Fees Information
The majority of the FCC’s revised Part 97 rules (adopted in December 2020) establishing new application fees that were to become effective on April 19, but the new amateur radio application fees were not effective on April 19. The FCC announced on March 19 that the amateur radio application fees, including those associated with Form 605 filings, would not become effective until the “requisite notice has been provided to Congress, the FCC’s information technology systems and internal procedures have been updated, and the Commission publishes notice(s) in the Federal Register announcing the effective date of such rules.“
The $35 fee, when it becomes effective, would apply to new, modification (upgrade and sequential call sign change), renewal, and vanity call sign applications, as well as applications for a special temporary authority (STA) or a rule waiver. All fees will be per application. Administrative updates, such as a change of mailing, email address, or name, are exempt.
It is expected that such fees will not become effective sometime in mid to late 2021. The FCC has stated that amateurs will have advance warning of the actual effective date, because it will publish such date in the Federal Register.
ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC) Manager Maria Somma, AB1FM, said VECs and Volunteer Examiner (VE) teams will not have to collect the $35 fee at exam sessions. Once the FCC application fee takes effect, new and upgrade applicants will pay the $15 exam session fee to the VE team as usual, and pay the $35 application fee directly to the FCC via the Fee Filer System or License Manager System. The new CSCE form now has information about fee payment,
Our VE Sessions are held on the first Saturday of each even numbered month. Our future dates are:
|August 7th||October 2nd||December 4th|
|February 5th||April 2nd||June 4th|
Any Questions? Contact: KB8UUZ@gmail.com